Aug 23, 2011

The Doughy Diva of Liège





The Doughy Diva of Liège
Remember those cartoons with an apple pie cooling on a windowsill, a billowy cloud wafting from it? The aroma would unfailingly hook an unsuspecting character by the nose and draw him like a ragdoll to its sweet, sweet source. I’m pretty sure that’s what I looked like the first time I caught the scent of Belgian waffles. It was seven years ago. I’d just moved to Brussels and was eager to explore my new surrounds. I’d set out for the weekly farmers market near my house, and it was there that the scent cloud first tickled my nose. Like a dog with a nervous tick, I twitched my head side to side, sniffing the wind until I found the source of honeyed air.

Read more about my first waffle-gasm and get a recipe at Leite's Culinaria 



August 24 is National Waffle Day in the USA, the anniversary of the first US patent for the waffle iron. No need to send a car...just send an authentic Liège waffle. Where to find them in San Francisco? Try Bar Jules.

No comments: